About Us
About Us
In 1900, brothers Fred and Teed Hermann started Hermann Funeral Parlor in connection with the furniture store next to the General Store owned by their brother Charles Hermann. In 1920, Fred's son-in-law, Charles Vanderheyden, entered into partnership with the Hermanns. Charles Hermann's son, Clyde, began serving his apprenticeship in embalming. A few years later, he also attended Worsham and received his license in 1929. In 1935, the Hermann Funeral Home moved to a large residence on Main St. built by M.K. Hammond. The residence was remodeled into a first-rate funeral home and opened for business in 1936. In 1948, Stockton's Christ Lutheran Church had built a new, larger church. Clyde bought the previous church and parsonage located at 249 N. Park St., where it still is today.
Clyde's son, Richard, joined the family business after graduating from Worsham in 1957. Richard's son William (Bill) graduated from Worsham College of Mortuary Science in 1983. Bill took over as owner of Hermann Funeral Home in 1990. In 1991, he expanded the business by purchasing the Scharman Funeral Home in Shannon, IL, from Jim Scharman when he retired after celebrating 100 years in business. Bill expanded further in 1994 by building a third location in Pearl City, IL.
Bill's daughter, Justina, joined the family business after graduating from Worsham in 2009. Bill's daughter, Julia, is currently enrolled at Worsham and will be joining the business after graduating in September of 2015. Bill, Justina, and Julia plan to carry on their long-lived legacy of service, carrying forward the same dignity and compassion as the generations before them.
